Bill Me Later

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Grilled Hobo Pack Potatoes

Well the seasons are definitely in change, Woo Hoo!  Well I have been keeping busy the last 3 days helping my husband clear some of our land for our cows that will be coming in a few months!  That means awesome cheese recipes to come!!  However, we worked all day and decided to quit a little early so we could grill tonight, wehave the daylight longer into the evening now!



We chose to grill with no store charcoal!  We usually use a hardwood lump charcoal, it natural and is just wood, no chemicals.  It is actually easy to make your own, sounds like a guest blog from my husband to come.  Tonight we were out some my husband chopped some wood into small chips to build the fire, this took a while since the wood was a little wet, but he got it done:)

Well he had a great fire tonight, we grilled some salmon and the following potatoes called a Hobo Pack!  I saw this recipe on Americas Test Kitchen, on PBS last summer.

2lbs of potatoes(your choice, I like Yukon gold, tonight I used russet)
olive oil
basil, thyme, rosemary, 1 or all 3
salt & pepper

Peel(optional my kids are totally against the skin at this point) and quarter your potatoes, put them in a microwave safe bowl.
 
Cover them with plastic wrap.  Microwave them for 4 minutes.  Take the bowl out but leave the plastic on and give them a good shake to stir them.  Place them back in microwave for another 4 minutes, this helps to precook them!



You will notice moisture on the plastic when its done, it there is any water in bowl drain it.
 
Next you will need your ingredients to flavor the potatoes.  I use fresh herbs when in season.
 
 
This is a shake and see what it looks like moment.  I put enough olive on to coat the potatoes, this helps the herbs and seasonings to stick.  I think I used around 1 tsp of basil, salt and pepper.
 
 

 
Now its time to form the hobo packs.  Takes 2 pieces of aluminum foil about 9 x11 and lay them flat.  Place a couple large spoonfuls of potatoes on the foil.
 
 
Some people make this look pretty, not me just wrap those things up tight so nothing leaks out and your good.  They are ready to grill.  Put them on the grill for about 10 minutes, flip them over halfway through.
 
This is the finished product, not the best picture but it was steaming hot and it smelled wonderful, not to mentions it tasted delicious.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment