Bill Me Later

Monday, March 18, 2013

Self Sufficient, Can We Cut it?

I have long had the desire to be self sufficient but its flat out hard.  We, meaning me and society as a whole have become so reliant on big companies to provide our basic needs we wouldn't make it 2 weeks in a survival situation!!  I have been doing a lot of reading about what I can do to make sure my food supply I create every year from my garden is stored properly.  I used to freeze everything, that's great but since we moved we no longer have a generator, that would mean in a long power outage I would lose my supply of food I worked so hard to freeze.  I am not ok with that, I have found a list for you to think about, and really to question yourself to see if your storing your food properly.



  • Ignoring the importance of nutrition in the foods that are stored
  • Using sacks or other containers that are not air-tight--I have made this mistake, I think I have a nice container that won't draw moisture or bugs, only to open it and moths coming flying at me.  This so grosses me out, this is one of my weaknesses.
  • Failing to keep food containers in a cool, dry place--I have also done this, I used to store alot of my canned goods in my kitchen where I made my potato salad that I sold to grocery stores.  It was a great room, but when it would heat up when I cooked it would break my seals:(
  • Failing to keep food containers out of the light--This is true, I have discolored foods before from sunlight shining right on them.
  • Storing too many items that need refrigeration--This is like when the electric goes out and I lose all the items I worked so hard to freeze.
  • Failing to include enough of a variety of different foods
  • Failing to maintain a good balance in the foods that are stored
  • Failing to include at least a small percentage of “comfort” foods--This I used to do by freezing small packages of leftover pot roast or soups but now I am rethinking this, what should I do can it?  
  • Failing to occasionally check expiration dates and rotate stored foods
  • Storing all of the food in only one location.--This is not a good idea, but when your pressed for space what do you do?
  • I have thought alot about this list, if I truly want to be prepared I need to keep this list in mind.  I am not an end of the world doomsday er, but there is nothing wrong with making sure all your hard work is preserved properly.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment