Bill Me Later

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Detox the Bathroom Part 4

Hi everyone, I am a little behind on my blogging, I have been helping my husband in the woods and  I am not used to getting a workout by lugging wood, so I have been beat at night:)  However, I have had this toothpaste recipe ready for a week and just did not get it done.  I know many of you know about the dangers of fluoride in toothpaste, as well as the many other things they put in toothpaste including colors.  If you did not do this yet please scroll back into Jan 2013 to look at the article I posted about fluoride. 

Making your own toothpaste is one of those things that you can and should do all the time because it is too easy not too.  There are tons of homemade toothpaste recipes out there on the web but I like this recipe because it is simple and no one here had complained about it.  Some recipes call for the same items but they are proportioned in a way that my family does not like the flavor.  For example, some recipes call for a large amount of salt for extra scrubbing power, but too much salt in toothpaste makes the kids and even me not want to brush.  Some call for mostly or entirely baking soda and we do not care for the taste of that either.  The recipe I am going to share is a part for part on the main ingredients with other ingredients you can add to taste.

2 tbsp coconut oil--anti bacterial and anti viral
2 tbsp baking soda--cleanser, mildly abrasive but still good for teeth
1/2 pkt stevia-prevents cavities and adds a little sweet flavor-good for kids
 Too taste flavored oil--I like mint, I use strawberry or orange for the kids
1 shake of salt(can use more)

This recipe can be made in a larger batch, just adjust ingredients accordingly.  The flavor and consistency is definitely different from store brands so it will take some adjusting, if you do not like it do not give up right away.


The ingredients.
The baking soda and coconut oil.


Mix well its sometimes a challenge to get it blended, it could take a couple minutes.  Once mixed well then add the stevia, salt, and flavor if desired.
You can place it in a jar and dip it out, that kinds grossed me out so I looked online and found that if you put it in a zip lock bag and snip off one corner and squeeze it out onto your brush.
 
I encourage you to give it a try!


2 comments:

  1. Does the coconut oil get too hard to squeeze out of the bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can but warm it with your hand by squeezing or microwave for 5-10 seconds, another reason why a small baych is good!

      Delete