Bill Me Later

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Detox the Bathroom Part 3

I am a little ahead of schedule on this detox the bathroom installment, that hardly ever happens.  I love using body wash in the shower, I do not think I could do without it.  On the other hand, my husband is perfectly happy using the bar soap that I have been making in the shower.  I looked for a long time for a recipe that was simple and could be customized to your own preferences.  The following recipe is simple and you can add essential oil to scent or add some vitamin E if you like.

Bar Soap--I used one of my soaps I made in the first Detox the Bathroom blog, an average size bar of soap will do, whatever kind you like!
4 cups of water
1 pan to heat soap and water
1 cooking thermometer
Hand grater or shredder

Grate the bar of soap. Add it to the pan and then place the 4 cups of water in and hook the thermometer on the side. Put the pan on the stove and heat on medium heat until the temperature reaches 190 degrees F.  This really only takes a good five minutes, unless your do what I did and turn on the wrong burner and wonder why the soap won't melt, grrrr still getting used to electric stoves, gas stove are obvious when their on!

Once you reach the proper temperature the soap will be completely melted in and you will have a creamy liquid that will look similar to the color of the bar of soap you used.  I then poured this into a empty gal jug that I had, this jug is too big but it is all I had today, so it worked!

Let it cool for 2 hours(I am kind impatient so I put mine in the fridge for a while) and you have successfully made body wash!  If it is too thick(it will be) just add a little water to thin it down!  One this batch I added 2 cups of warm water and shook, I actually will probably add 1 more cup once I see how it looks. This happens alot, it really just depends alot on the bar of soap you choose.  I have found it easier to thin at the end if necessary, rather then end up with body"water" and add too much water in the beginning.

I have some pictures to follow I took with that crazy camera that I still cannot work right, but I am getting better:)

These are what you need to make body wash, the bowl is optional I use it to pour into the gallon jug.

I grate the soap with a hand cheese grater, I would use my bullet but since I recently moved I have yet to locate it!

The pile of grated soap.

I added the grated soap to the saucepan.

I added the 4 cups of water and put in my thermometer to start cooking.

 I occasionally stir too make sure everything is melting well.

Everything is all melted here and up to 190 degrees, looks like milk.

Hard to take a picture here to show how full it is but it is about 1/4 of a gallon.  Now is time to let it cool then thin it.  I usually end up with a little over a half gallon which is awesome and look how much money you are saving.  Lets figure $1.00 high side on a bar of soap and really that's it.  So you likely have 5-6 bottles of body wash you just made.  Buying the body wash retail would cost between $20-$30 depending on brand, you saved at least $19.00 and you know whats in it, that's awesome:)
 
A couple side notes to this story:  My 7 year old was not home when I made this so he did not see me put the gallon jug in the fridge with the body wash.  When him and my husband got home he opened the fridge to pour himself some milk, and grabbed the body wash.  I am unsure how he did not notice that it was not the right color and chunky, he noticed when he took a chug!!!  He comes over to my husband and I and says as serious as can be "That milk is not tasting good", all I could do is laugh!  He was not as pleased, and I was kindly told to never do that too hims again.  I guess he thinks I did it on purpose.  Lastly, enjoy this recipe its so easy, try it.  Special thanks to my husband for helping with some of my pictures and getting the camera ready:)

No comments:

Post a Comment