Bill Me Later

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Detox your bathroom---Bar Soap

I am on a mission to detox my whole house, but thats quite a battle.  I have chosen to tackle on room at a time.  I thought to myself I want to work on the room where the most chemical seems to be present, the bathroom.  We use soaps, creams, lotions, deodorants, and much more thats loaded with things I can not even pronounce.

I wanted to begin with bar soap, I use this on a daily basis.  Many people do not but I am old school and still use it to wash my face. My face is usually dry due to the bar soap but I never could get into buying fancy foaming washes like my mom and mother in law swear by.  There are 2 types of soap you can make old fashioned lye(which I have made a couple days ago so in 2 weeks when the soap has cured I will let you know) and glycerin soap.  Glycerin soap is a moisturizing soap, it is created when you make lye soap.  The large companies who make soap take the glycerin out and use it to make lotions, they can make more profit this way!

Making glycerin soap is so easy I do not know why someone would not make it.  You need to first buy the glycerin which is easy to find online or you can go to your local craft store, I went to Hobby Lobby who has a great price.  You will also need to buy some essential oil to add scent and I like to add some coconut and olive oils to add extra moisture and vitamin E.  When I started using glycerin soap to wash my face I was really impressed, my face is soft and smooth, believe me I am not a glamour queen by my skin looked good.

The following recipe is a basic recipe I use.

Glycerin(I bought glycerin in cubes so I use 6-8 cubes for a bath of four bars)
Essential Oil
Coconut Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Soap Molds(anything works I bought some bar shape and I also use old cupcake pans)

Prepare soap molds ahead by spraying them with a non stick cooking spray.

Melt your glycerin, use a double boiler or the microwave.
When the glycerin is melted add 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of olive oil, mix well.
Once it is mixed well add 6-9 drops of essential oil, I use Lavender alot, its soothing.
Pour the melted mixture into the molds and let is sit to cool for about 2 hours.  Once the time has passed simply pop the soap out and it is ready, no need to cure.

Glycerin soap is a softer soap so it needs to be kept dry when not in use by storing it in a slotted soap dish.

I love this soap and I have many recipes.  I will give you a recipe soon for my oatmeal honey soap, its great!


No comments:

Post a Comment