Bill Me Later

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Fabric Softener

I have made Homemade Laundry Soap and homemade fabric softener for a couple years and love it, (I will get to the laundry soap recipe in another post so I can take some updated pictures for you)  Now to the battle at hand, Fabric Softener!

The ingredients are easy:

6 cups of hot water
3 cups of white vinegar
2 cups of hair conditioner(about 1 15oz-18oz bottle will work)  You can use any type of hair conditioner or scent.  Eventually I hope to have my own hair conditioner for this so it can really be made by me!

First put the hot water in a large bowl or bucket and put the conditioner in with it(I use an old kitchen whisk for this).  Mix this well until the conditioner looks to be mixed in pretty well, no big clumps.

Once you reached a nice consistency add the vinegar.  Mix well and guess what your done.

Store this in a large container, I try to use old fabric softener bottles so it is not confused.  My husband has been know to confuse the soap and softener I make and use the softener as soap and soap as softener, this went on for a while until I wondered why the softener was almost gone :)

Use this softener as you would any other softener, add it to your downey ball or 2 tbsp to the softener dispenser in your washer.

I usually give the container a good shake before I use it too make sure it is all mixed up.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, its so easy and cost effective you have to stop and ask yourself, why not?

All you need to make the homemade fabric softener, vinegar, water, and conditioner.

 Thanks to my six year old for helping so I could take pictures.  Squirt the whole bottle in or measure out 2 cups of conditioner.

This is what it looks like when the conditioner is all in and ready to mix.

Stir, stir, stir, this could take a good couple minutes.

Almost ready still a couple clumps hanging to the bottom of the bowl.

All ready to go!  Now add the 2 cups of vinegar.

Woo Hoo it is done, that was easy.  The hardest part for me is the transfer to the bottle I am going to store it in.

This recipe makes about 3/4 of a gallon of fabric softener.
 
I wanted to make a note of the bowl I used, I have a whole set of them and they are from Preserve.  Their website is www.preserveproducts.com.  They make all of their plastic products from 100% recycled plastics!  They are awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this...can't wait to try! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are enjoying it! I love doing these things, I have so many more recipes to come.

      Delete