Bill Me Later

Friday, January 25, 2013

Potty Training and Vinegar?

I have a 2 1/2 year old son, my baby, who was potty trained fairly well in the summer.  Well we moved and that all went out the window!  I gave him some time, but during this time he fell in love with the cartoon Rugrats, which is super cute, except the eating bugs and baby talk, but I love it.  However, I think he thought he could continue to wear diapers like Tommy.  Let the battle begin.

I admit I have been soft on him since we moved so far away from our whole family, I felt guilty.  We have been here in Tennessee for almost 3 months and its time to potty train.  Last week I was down to about 6-7 seven diapers and I told myself your creating a budget, diapers are not going to be in it.  So on Monday I fought him and fought he would not put the underwear on, grrrr.  He would not tell me he had to pee either so I was mopping up puddles, one reason why I am thankful for the laminate flooring and hardwood floors, not carpet!  Well I diapered him in the evening for bed, until the next day. 

Day 2 was worse, he would put the underwear on, better I thought!  I was wrong, that just meant when he peed it was more laundry because the underwear were soaked! I was annoying myself because I felt like every five minutes I was asking do you need to go potty and he just gave me the look.  So at my wits end I took away Rugrats, total devastation.  This was about 11 a.m., I was making lunch and put on a boring show and he laid on the couch and cried to sleep, I felt so bad.  When he woke up I asked if he had to pee, he said no!  I said ok, well we finished the day with 2 more accidents and no Rugrats. 

Day 3 I was still up for the battle he wasn't breaking me I was potty breaking him.  So he had an accident on my big comfy chair, I took away Rugrats again and the look he gave me was precious it was like he said fine you win!  After that he went, huh I knew he could!  We have been accident free since then, except a #2 today but I can live with that:)  Anyway you might wonder how did you clean it up, my secret is vinegar.

I am not a fan of vinegar scent, I totally opposed it for years when my husband told me to use it.  I started making fabric softener a few years ago with vinegar I was surprised my clothes smelled fine.  My husband began using it around our farm to disinfect, a nice alternative to bleach!  So one day I tried it, I just took mixed a half a cup of vinegar with a gallon of water and put it on my dry mop, it smelled like vinegar, but only for a couple minutes and it was shiny clean.  I could live with that.  Vinegar is great at disinfecting and totally getting rid of smells.  When the task of potty training happened this week I was glad I had my gallon of white vinegar(I really like Braggs Organic Apple Cider  but have not found any since we moved) under the sink and ready for action.  I mixed some of this up a couple times a day and mopped the floor and cleaned my chair and you would never know what I used.  The smell was totally gone! I have been converted to vinegar, I have many other things I use vinegar for but that will be another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment