Bill Me Later

Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

Ok folks, here we go I am jumping on the train to rid my life of processed foods!!!  Its gonna be difficult, and I am sure there will be cravings, but we can do this.  I am starting with homemade granola bars, my kids love the varieties at the grocery store, no brand in particular they are all loaded with things we can't even pronounce!  Lets not wait any longer:

Homemade Granola Bars

2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup rice krispies
1/4 cup coconut(I leave this out, no one likes coconut here)
1/2 cup chocolate chips(mini or regular), mini m&m, mini marshmallows--be creative
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup soft butter
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients(except last 3) well in a large bowl.  Add last three ingredients, mix well this is kinda hard, I usually end up using my hands.  Once you have this all mixed use a 8x8 or 9x13 pan, spray with cooking spray or use nothing and spread the mixture evenly in the pan.  I like the 9x13 the bars tend to hold together better.  Bake the bars in the oven at 350 for 18-20 minutes.  When they are done let them cool for 10 minutes then score them and let them finish cooling.  When cool try to get them to pop out or cut in pan and remove.  Wrap them up with wax paper or put in a ziploc, they will stay fresh for at least a week but they won't last long. 

The ingredients.

The first six ingredients, mix well.


Add the last three ingredients, mix well.
This looks pretty good, it will not be solid it will feel loose.


The granola bar mixture in a 9x13 pan.
Out of the oven and cooled for ten minutes, I scored this pan to make 16 rectangle granola bars.

 

 

I have them removed from the pan, mine look a little messy, the kids were impatient so I had to get them out early.


 
This is a kid friendly project, they love to help!  I hope you try this and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment