Bill Me Later

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Detox the Bathroom Part 4 Lotion

I love lotion, I buy lots of it and my dry skin never seems to get better.  I have bought every kind of lotion possible cheap, expensive, good smelling and no luck.  I have tried regular lotions from box stores and special lotions from herbal and health food stores and nothing has come close to working like the Beeswax Lotion that I make in a few easy steps!  I found this recipe on the internet a couple years ago on a blog and actually did not try to make it, I thought I did not have time, I was wrong it takes little time.  I wish I would have done this sooner!

The Beeswax lotion is oil based, no water so it should not turn rancid.  When a lotion is oil based when you apply it your hands use a small amount, it will actually feel oily, do not stress as I did, do not wipe it off.  Please give it about five minutes, keep rubbing your hands together and it will all work in.  This lotion is different than store lotions because it contains pure ingredients that will totally hydrate your skin versus the store lotions will numerous fillers that just dissolve in your skin and you are reapplying lotion an hour later.

I encourage you to try to make this lotion, I would not do with out it.

Ingredients

1 cup olive oil(can use other oils like jojoba or almond oil)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup beeswax pellets(2oz if solid) I usually keep the block beeswax around You could lessen this or maybe omit the lotion is just a little thinner and works great in a pump bottle.
1 vitamin E capsule
essential oil
1 tsp honey--I added this for the great healing powers of honey and a little bit sweeter smell

I use a mason jar(wide mouth is easiest) place the first 3 ingredients in the jar.  Place water in a saucepan so that the water gets to be about 1/2-3/4 of the way up the jar, do not get water in the jar.  Heat the pan on medium to melt the ingredients together in the jar.  Keep stirring, once it is all melted remove the jar from the pan, stir, now place in a cool spot to get to room temperature, or the impatient people like me can put it in the fridge.  You will need to stir it every 15 minutes to prevent it from separating.  I would never remember if I did not set my kitchen timer.  I made a new batch last night and I had to stir it about 7 time until it was done.  Once it is to a nice "lotion" look it is done!  Remove the jar from the fridge and add the contents of the vitamin E capsule, this helps to stabilize it.  If you want to add essential oils to scent now is the time!  I usually do not scent it I like the natural scent the beeswax and honey create.  You can simply put a lid on the mason jar and you have not only an awesome lotion to use but a pretty bottle sitting on your bathroom counter.

 
The ingredients.


This is the beeswax--this is a little over 2 oz.
This has olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and honey all ready to melt.

 The same.
 

 

In the pan, the water is a little over half way up the side of the jar.

Everything is all melted and looks nice and clear.

 

 This is after being in the fridge for almost 2 hours and 7 good stirs.
 

Once again thanks to my oldest son Matt for being my helper so I can take pictures:)  The lotion has a nice consistency and rubs on well.  My skin is sooooo soft it just amazes me.
 
Please try this, it so easy and you can toss out some more of the chemical laden lotions that do nothing for the money you pay for them.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment